With the Oscars tonight, there’s never been a better time to talk red carpet beauty. Whether you’re planning on walking the red carpet, hitting up an Oscars party or just getting glam for a night out, here are a few tips that will help take your look to celeb heights.
Get red carpet ready with these tips:
When you’re going to be in the spotlight or in front of the cameras, you don’t want to have to worry about fixing your lipstick. Stila Stay All Day Vinyl Lip Gloss adds sheen, a ton of colour, and has great staying power so you don’t have to worry about touch ups throughout the night. A red lip is a classic that never goes out of style!
Packing for a vacation isn’t always easy. I find I’m constantly making a list and checking it twice leading up to the day of departure. Of course, cutting down on space is always an issue – I swear, I usually try to bring absolutely everything, which is definitely problematic. I mean really, how much can I possibly use over the course of a week? I picked a few products that are my must-haves to try to cut down on what I bring. What will you find in this list? Some multi-taskers, some that make getting ready a little easier, and a couple that are just downright fun.
- Benefit Big Easy Multi-Balancing Complexion Perfector – this tube of goodness (full review here) is right at the top of my vacation packing list. It helps even out the complexion without providing too much coverage (hey, it’s a vacation – you don’t need to be overdone) while sun protection of SPF 35 helps to put my mind at ease when I know I’m going to be spending a little time out in the sun.
- Dior Diorshow Iconic Overcurl Waterproof Mascara – My new favourite waterproof mascara! Once on, this stuff doesn’t budge, which is perfect for spending a day at the pool or on the beach. No one has time for raccoon eyes and this does the trick. It also adds lots of length and volume to every lash with its fantastic curved brush – the perfect choice for sending a wink that hot lifeguard’s way.
- L’Oreal Paris Youthcode Pore Vanisher – When I’m on vacation, the last thing I want is to look shiny. I like to blend some of this pore vanisher into my skin before applying makeup and heading out the door. It really helps to minimize the look of pores and zaps the shine for a matte look.
- imPRESS Press-On Manicure with Ultra Gel Shine – I’ve been obsessed with these press-on nails for a while now and figured there’s no better place to rock these than on vacation! They help to accomplish a couple of things for me; my nails look fantastic and fun (there are a ton of different colours/designs to choose from) and I don’t have to worry about polish chips & broken nails. When I’m on vacay, I don’t want to have to worry about doing my nails and these very quickly and easily solve that problem.
- Jergens BB Body Perfecting Skin Cream – When I’m rocking shorts, skirts and bathing suits, this lotion is a lifesaver. With a light tint (it comes in light and medium/deep), it helps to even out and illuminate the skin, giving skin an immediate boost that builds up as you continue use. I love the fact that it acts as a tinted moisturizer for your body and really does help to give the skin a healthier appearance.
- Gilette Venus Snap with Embrace – I’m in love with this pint-sized version of the Venus razor. It literally fits in the palm of my hand and comes with a little carrying case for easy travel. It fits easily into luggage and works just as well as the full-sized version.
- mark. That’s Beachy Texturizing Surf Spray – If you’re like me, sometimes you just get lazy with vacation hair. When I’m getting out of the pool or planning on lounging around, I don’t really want to spend time blow drying, straightening or curling, which is where this spray comes in handy. Spritz it throughout the hair and give your locks a scrunch to add some wave before diffusing or letting it air dry. Voila – beach/worthy waves that make mermaids jealous.
- got2b Guardian Angel Frizz Taming Hairspray – One downside or vacationing somewhere hot? Humidity and frizz. Thank the hair gods for this spray, which helps to tame the frizz so you don’t end up looking like Medusa once the humidity hits. Spray some on before heading out and enjoy smooth, frizz-free locks.
- Nuxe ‘I Am Prodigious’ Huile Prodigieuse OR (Limited Edition) – When showing off a bit more skin, I want it to look fantastic. This gold, shimmering oil is the perfect companion for a night out dancing or lounging by the pool. The oil adds great moisture which the gold shimmer helps to highlight and illuminate the skin.
What are you vacation beauty essentials?
Now that everything is finally starting to bloom and the sun has decided to show its face I’m all about fun, pink lips for spring. I’ve pulled together some of the lippies that I couldn’t wait to try this season!
Benefit Cosmetics Posiebalm ($22) – This is one of the spring launches I was most excited about – inspired by Benefit’s fab tints, these new tinted lip balms are moisturising and make the lips feel so soft. Worn along they give a hint of colour and they work so well when paired with their respective tints! More on these to come later…
mark. Neon Kisses Sheer Lip Gloss in Wild Orange ($14) – I’ve been having a lot of fun the mark.’s new neon collection – the colours and packaging are bright and fun and really put a smile on my face. This gloss is very light and sheer, but adds a really nice hint of sheen.
Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Gloss Crayon in Fuchsia-Ristic ($16) – I’ve heard buzz about these before as our friends over in the UK have had them for a while and they’ve finally made the trek to Canada. These plumping gloss crayons claim to pump up the lips without the tingly feeling that I’ve come to expect from such products. I didn’t notice as much of a plumping effect but the shine and feel of the gloss did add a little more dimension to my lips. I was a little worried about this applying with more of an orangey tone as it appears but was really happy to see that it gave off more of a pink shade once on.
YSL Baby Doll Kiss & Blush in 09 Rose Epicurien ($40) – I honestly couldn’t wait to give the new YSL Kiss & Blush a try after seeing it pop up everywhere. This petal pink shade is so pretty – so girly and light, and I think the perfect springy alternative to a nude lip. It applies with a really soft, satin finish that I love and also works beautifully as a bit of colour on the cheeks.
COVERGIRL LipPerfection in Darling ($9) – This makes for the perfect lightly-frosted pink shade on the lips. I think it’s just such a nice touch of colour without going too pale.
Ellis Faas Hot Lips in L406 ($35) – I love this lippies. The texture strays somewhere bettween a lipstick and a balm, with full, bold colour and a really nice moisturising feel. I love the felt tipped applicator and how true to colour these are. This shade is perfect for when I want a little bit more colour.
Hard Candy Ombre Lipstick in Confidence ($6) – Finally, one of the most interesting new lippies to debut this spring (and at a really nice price). These new ombre lipsticks from Hard Candy make getting the perfect ombre lip easy. Two complementing colours (the darker in a thinner slice) apply easily, while I did rub my lips together a few times to blend the colour more. I’m still not entirely sure how I feel about the ombre lip but I do like how these two shades run together.
What lip shades/products are you loving so far this spring?
There are still 2 shopping days until Christmas, which means it’s time to finish up if you haven’t done so already! If you have a beauty lover or someone who is looking to experiment with their look a little, palettes are the perfect gift to share. I’ve rounded up a few of my favourites to help make your shopping trip a little easier.
1. Urban Decay Naked3 Palette ($62) – of course, no palette round up would be complete without including this year’s most anticipated release, the Naked3 Palette. The newest addition to the fan-favourite Naked collection, this palette features beautiful warm rose-hued neutral shades that will look good on anyone.
2. Smashbox Full Exposure Palette ($58) – I first came across this palette at a Murale preview earlier this month and was instantly obsessed. I will further this by saying that after coming home I showed this to my roommate who actually went out and bought it the next day. This palette is full of beautiful neutrals, and is made even more special by the fact that it includes a matte and shimmery version of each shade, plus a guide that shows how to get the perfect look for each eye shape.
3. Make Up For Ever Midnight Glow Palette ($42) – This palette is just so pretty, and so perfect for a party. These 6 shades, with a diamond finish, are great for creating a beautiful night out look – help them ring in the new year with eyes to die for!
4. Lise Watier Jardin de Givre Palette ($45) – I recently wrote about this palette and have been in love ever since – I’ve been wearing it almost every day! The shades are shimmery and gorgeous. Take a look at swatches here.
5. mark. Holiday Exclusive On The Dot Lip Color Compact ($18) – Of course, we can’t forget about the lips! This cute little compact features 9 different glossy colours that cover neutral lips to those that make a statement!
I’ve recently fallen very much in love with mark. and I think that since it is their 10th birthday celebration I should give one of you the chance to fall in love as well! I’ve put together a little mark. goody bag so that you can bring the celebration home and play with some pretty things.
What does the winner get? mark. Wonder Gloss in Nude Shine (from the 10th Birthday Beauty Collection), mark. Trend Mini Nail Lacquer in Rosetta and the Snake Charmer Necklace/Belt in a cute little mark. Makeup Bag! Enter via the Rafflecopter form below – this one is open worldwide! Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway