The holidays are pretty much here, which means it’s time to get glammed up for all of the celebrations and cocktail parties that are bound to be coming at you from every direction. I find that getting dressed up for the holidays can always be a bit of a challenge, as you’ve just about blown your budget from shopping for presents and don’t want to spend a lot on something new to wear.
Cue Dixie Outlet Mall, a fantastic shopping centre just outside of Toronto that brings together great looks at an even better price. With a fab selection of retailers ranging like Winners, Nine West, and GUESS to choose from, it’s easy to score some amazing deals to fit any style and budget!
Dixie Outlet Mall gave me a bit of a challenge this year – with a $100 gift card in my pocket, I had to put together a gorgeous head-to-toe holiday outfit that would be perfect for all of the parties I’m planning on going to this year. Normally, this might be a bit of a challenge, but I knew that the amazing deals at Dixie would make it easy – and I was right!
Of course, I had to start off at Winners – it’s one of my favourite stores and I know I can find gorgeous pieces there for a fraction of the price I would pay at different retailers. I fell hard for this stunning beaded romper (which came with a $50 price tag) and knew that I had to have it – it was so beautiful and definitely holiday appropriate!
I also picked up these gorgeous shimmery heels from Payless for $27 (keep an eye out for store newsletters – I saved an extra 20% off with a coupon on these beauties that were on sale!) and snagged this lovely bag from Call It Spring for only $21 on Black Friday, when it was an additional 40% off the already reduced price. Don’t you just love a good deal?
I love all of the pieces that I found, and can’t believe I was able to pull this all together for less than $100, but these killer deals made shopping a breeze!
Are you feeling up to the challenge? I’m giving away a $100 gift certificate to Dixie Outlet Mall so that one of you can get glam for the holidays and try your own $100 shopping challenge! Want to take it on? Enter via the form below. Please note that this contest is best for GTA residents as the gift card must be picked up and spent at Dixie Outlet Mall.
Dixie Outlet Mall Shopping Challenge
Want to spoil a lady in your life this holiday season, but not where to start? I’m sharing some of my top gift picks for every budget today so you can find the perfect beauty gift (within your budget)! Read on to see my top picks.
- mark. Nailed It Trend Mini Nail Lacquers ($11) – Two picture perfect mini nail lacquers in complimenting colours will have her creating gorgeous nail looks in no time!
- Olay Essentials Holiday Gift Set ($10) – Make sure she has what she needs to keep her skin looking great throughout the holidays with this set containing Olay Wet Cleansing Towelettes & Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer.
- Fresh Sugar Rosé Ritual ($23) – She’ll love you for this Fresh gift set & will gladly show off her smile all holiday season long, thanks to the Sugar Rosé Lip Shine Treatment & Tinted Lip Treatment.
- Birchbox Membership ($10/Month, available in 3, 6 or 12 month options) – The gift that keeps on giving! Each month, she’ll receive a box full of deluxe beauty samples right to her door.
- QUO Lips All Around set ($25 at Shoppers Drug Mart) – This set of 8 QUO lip glosses will have her starting the new year with a brilliant smile – and lots of choice!
- Philosophy Amazing Grace Ornament ($22) – This purse size version of Philosophy’s Amazing Grace fragrance smells great – plus, you can hang it on the tree before you gift it!
- The Body Shop Frosted Cranberry Tin of Delights ($39) – Who doesn’t love finding a treat from The Body Shop under the tree? This set, in the limited edition frosted cranberry scent, comes complete with shower gel, body butter, lip balm and a shimmer fragrance globe (which you will LOVE).
- Mary Kay Cream & Sugar Gift Set ($30) – This limited edition set contains the Chocolate Cocoa Body Scrub & Marshmallow Body Whip – can you say delicious?
- Benefit Cosmetics Real Cheeky Party Kit ($50) – As any girl knows, Benefit’s blushes are top shelf, which makes this set a must-have under the tree. Seriously. It contains 5 of their fave powder blushes, Watt’s Up highlighter and They’re Real! Push-Up Liner & Mascara. Plus, they’re housed in the cutest keepsake tin.
- Vichy Christmas Boxes ($39.50 each, available at drugstores) – She will so thank you for gifting her one of these tins, especially when you choose her perfect match. The boxes feature Vichy’s amazing lines – Liftactiv, Neovadiol, Aqualia, Proeven & Normaderm – so can find the one that matches her skin’s needs!
- Avon Makeup Design Palette ($30) – The perfect set for someone who’s starting to play around with makeup or who loves changing up their look! This set contains 21 shadows, 6 lip glosses, 3 blushes, 1 bronzer and an instructional booklet.
- QUO Backstage Brush Set ($70 at Shoppers Drug Mart Beauty Boutiques) – As if this 8 piece brush set (with gold handles) wasn’t enough, it comes in this stunning geometric clutch that will definitely come in handy on NYE!
- Mary Kay Limited Edition Skinvigorate Cleansing Brush ($60) – This limited edition colourful version of MK’s Skinvigorate brush is the perfect size for travel and gives a great clean!
- Saje Wellness aromaGem Gift Set ($85) – I’m going to start off by letting you know that I’m absolutely crazy for Saje Wellness. I have the aromaGem and l-o-v-e it – and I can guarantee she will too. This nebulizing diffuser even comes with two holiday-ready diffuser blends: Tree Scents & Peppermint Twist. Get. Her. This. You’ll thank me.
- Pearls for Girls Armona Bracelet ($70) – Let’s be real here; What gal doesn’t want a little bling around the holidays? This bracelet is so unique, with a great combination of stones that’s perfect for layering. LOVE.
- Too Faced Le Grand Palais ($72) – This set is enough to make my Too Faced-loving heart jump around in my chest. I mean, 18 eye shadows, 2 blushes, bronzer, highlighter, plus deluxe Better Than Sex Mascara, Melted Lipstick & Shadow Primer Insurance – need I say more?
- Clarisonic Smart Profile Set ($299) – This set really takes on 3-in-one gift status. The Smart Profile comes complete with a facial brush head, a brush head and the pedi disc/buffing head combo, meaning she’ll be taking care of from head to toe.
- My Burberry Festive ($135) – My Burberry smells amazing enough as is, but through in some luxe gold flakes and this limited edition version will be sitting pretty on her vanity.
- Sephora Glitter Happy Brush Set ($106 in store) – Oh you guys. This brush set is just so pretty. The 6 makeup brushes have found their home inside this beautiful rose gold glitter-filled acrylic base, and they’re oh so soft. I’ve made mine a permanent fixture on my desk.
- Bobbi Brown Bobbi’s Runway Beauty Secrets ($118) – This amazing set of BB’s perfectly on-trend products will have her creating a gorgeous look in no time!
- LUSH Under the Mistletoe ($130) – Give her the gift of relaxation and let her pamper herself with this collection of LUSH’s holiday favourites. Between the bath bombs, soaps, massage bars, shower gels & other treats, she might never leave the bathroom again.
What are your top beauty picks for gifting this holiday season?
Guys, can you believe that December starts tomorrow? I’m finally ready to get into the holiday spirit and am all set to start the decorating and baking.
Now of course, we can’t make it through the month of December without an advent calendar – and I’ve pulled together what I think are the 5 best beauty advent calendars. Go on, you’ve been good all year – treat yourself to one of these! And if you start a little late or happen to want to open all of those beauty-filled little doors ahead of time I won’t blame you…
Benefit Cosmetics Party Poppers 12 Days of Gorgeous ($58) – Instead of the traditional 24 day calendar, Benefit decided to cut it down to 12 party-filled days this year. The 12 days are jam packed with minis of Benefit faves, like the POREfessional, high beam, rockateur & lollitint, that are perfect for throwing in your clutch for touch ups during your next holiday party. Oh, and did I mention it sings a seasonal “Bene-song” when you open it?
The Body Shop 24 Happy Days Advent Calendar ($99) – If you’re looking for the ultimate in advent calendar & deserve a little pampering this season, the Body Shop’s advent calendar is for you. This giant of a calendar is a must-have for any beauty lover and will keep you smiling every day until Christmas with deluxe size minis of both their most beloved & seasonal products… Plus there’s an extra little gift hidden inside.
LUSH 12 Days of Christmas ($99.95) – The perfect calendar for those of you who need a little push to unwind and relax when the season gets a little crazy, LUSH’s holiday calendar contains a combination of seasonal bath bombs, bubble bars and soap – each day is a little reminder to take some time to yourself to soak in the season.
Hard Candy 12 Days of Beauty ($9.97) – A little bit on the more affordable side we have Hard Candy’s contribution to the advent calendar craze. This 12 day calendar contains minis of their best-selling products that will have you completely holiday ready – I’m talking everything from concealer to eyeliner & mascara!
THEFACESHOP Beauty Advent Calendar ($69) – Korean beauty lovers will go gaga for this 23 day calendar, featuring some of the brands must-haves. Treats like nail polishes, face masks and skincare goodies will keep you feeling beautiful all the way through the 25th!
Happy Canada Day! I may be a little biased, but I have to say I’m so happy to live in one of the best countries in the world. Wicked winters aside, this place is amazing and has been very good to me. Since today is Canada’s birthday I decided to round up some of my favourite red and white beauty products to help you get in the spirit and show your Canadian pride!
- Dermalogica Solar Defense Booster SPF 50: Granted, it’s not exactly red and white but chances are you’re going to be spending some time outside celebrating all things Canada today. What does this mean? You’re going to need some serious sun protection for your pretty little face. This high SPF lotion can be applied right on the face or mixed in with your foundation to make sure you don’t burn.
- Essence Metal Glam Eyeshadow in Coffee to Glow: I’m not exactly a fan of red shadows, so I’m all about rocking some silvery/white shades on the lids. This shadow is silver, sparkly, and oh so pretty.
- L’Oreal Paris Extraordinaire by Colour Riche in Ruby Opera: This gloss is unbelievably pigmented and this deep red shade is absolutely perfect for adding a little more Canada into your look.
- Annabelle Twistup in Monroe: Another perfect red shade, this colour comes in a lipstick crayon form for big colour and a long-lasting look that will survive patio drinks.
- Demeter Fragrance Library Redhead In Bed: Again, not a shade buy hey, it has red in the name right? This is a perfect fun and summery scent that is playful enough to wear for a day on the patio or at the beach.
- CoverGirl Flamed Out Shadow Pencils in Crystal Flame and Ginger Flame: Continuing with the anti-red shadow theme, these flamed out pencils in pink and white shades make it easy to create a fun look. They glide on the lids smoothly and stay put!
- Julep Nail Color in Myriam: Of course I couldn’t have a post on Canada Day beauty without including some shade appropriate polishes. This Julep shade is a bold, bright red, and is the perfect partner for the next polish on my list.
- OPI Nail Lacquer in Angel With A Leadfoot: Throw on some white polish to go along with the red and you can create a fantastic Canada Day Mani. Try creating an accent nail using the opposite shade and don’t forget to have a little fun with it! Need a little mani inspiration? Take a look at the Canada Day nails I created last year!
What do you think of these products? What are your favourite red and white items?
Also, check out my friend Jenelle’s easy Canada Day Shorts DIY to add a little red and white into your style!
Back in August (yes, I know, it’s taken me a while to get to this… but with good reason) I attended an amazingly fun event hosted by The Body Shop. Why did it take me so long to get to this? The event showcased The Body Shop Holiday offerings and gift ideas, and I decided I would wait until now to share them with you so they would be fresh in your mind. Hopefully you can get some great gift ideas out of this, or you can always choose to grab an item or two for yourself. You know, to help deal with the holiday season. *Also – Canadian readers looking to grab anything may want to try heading to your nearest store for Black Friday – from what I’ve heard you can look forward to a 3/$30 sale and an amazing gift bag for $25 with a $30 purchase! I’m probably going to be stocking up on some Satsuma body butter this Friday…
Anyways, as always, The Body Shop is going to be bringing out some amazing gift sets which are perfect for giving joy this season. A few of my favourites:
- Ginger Sparkle Shower, Scrub & Moisture Collection, $20 (limited edition scent) contains Ginger Sparkle Body Butter, Shower Gel and Body Polish. Not overwhelmingly ginger-y and with the tiniest hint of citrus, I’ve really become taken with the Ginger Sparkle line. Oh, and it’s housed in an adorable gingerbread man tin.
- Cranberry Joy Body & Lip Care Collection, $50 (limited edition scent) is perfect for someone in need of pampering. This set comes with a Cranberry Joy Body Butter, Body Polish, Shower Gel and Lip Balm and smells fruity and fresh.
- Born Lippy Fruity Lip Balms Set, $20 is perfect for stuffing stockings. Packaged in a lollipop box, this set contains 5 moisturising lip balms – perfect timing to help someone get rid of the chapped lips winter just loves to bring.
- The Joyful Gingerbread House, $20 is a really unique gift which comes with Cranberry Shower Gel and Body Butter, Ginger Sparkle Shower Gel and Body Butter and a Mini Crinkle Lily. The schoolhouse boxes this comes in were designed and handmade by artisans at Get Paper Industries, which is a traditional handmade paper products co-operative in Kathmandu, Nepal.
And to help put you on Santa’s nice list, all purchases made help out The Body Shop’s School Project. How does it work? $300,000 from the sales of these and other Christmas gifts will help to build 5 schools around the world in areas where The Body Shop has Community Fair Trade Partners – Ghana, Honduras, Nepal and Northern and Southern India. I think this is a fantastic idea – when you buy someone a gift, you aren’t only giving joy to them, but you’ll be helping to give a child in one of the locations the gift of education.
Besides these gift sets, The Body Shop has other great products which will make lovely gifts or stocking stuffers (including the totally adorable Festive Reindeer Sponge) – check out a few of my favourites below!
Ginger Sparkle Body Butter – $20, Cranberry Joy Shimmer Lotion – $12
Absinthe Manicure and Moisture Gift Set – $10
4-Step Smoky Eye Palette – $28, Slanted Kabuki Brush – $28
Cranberry Joy Heart Soap – $4 and White Musk Smoky Rose Eau de Toilette – $17.50
Will you be doing any holiday shopping at The Body Shop?