When it comes to the holidays, parties & get-togethers always come to mind. I personally have quite a few holiday bashes on the horizon and of course, you want to be looking your best for every fete. Between killer hair, makeup and nails (check back in a few days for a post on quick ways to get ready for a party), finding a great host/hostess gift and having the perfect festive outfit, there’s a lot to think about. To save you some trouble, I’m sharing a few party hair looks for inspiration – choose your favourite and you might win a Matrix prize pack!
Go full-on glam with bouncy, sideswept curls. I love full hair with tons of volume and this look really nails it. The Matrix Style Link Perfect line will help add volume and texture and make sure your hair stays up while you get your dance on.
If you prefer to have your hair up, try taking your ponytail to a new level with a bit of a bouffant. Keep it looking smooth and polished with products from the Matrix Play & Protect lines.
If you prefer a bit more of a sleek finish, try some defined, neat curls. After curling your locks, brush them through and set them in place with the Matrix Style Link Prep lineup which will smooth, tame frizz and add volume.
Ready to rock your best holiday hair ever? Let me know which one of these looks you would love to show off this holiday season or tell me about another that you love! For your chance to win, leave a comment below to let me know which holiday hairstyle has your vote! For another chance to win, visit me on Instagram.
One winner will be chosen to receive one of the Matrix prize packs shown above so you can get glam for your parties. Giveaway ends December 20, 2017 at 11:59 pm est. Winner will be contacted upon the giveaway ending and will have 24 hours to respond. Good luck!
Ahhhh summer. We’ve finally hit that beautiful time of year in Toronto where the heat starts ratcheting up. We’ve already had some days with higher than normal temperatures (which I will not complain about) and I’m sure it’s only going to continue to go up from here. You may have also seen that I spent a few weeks in Costa Rica visiting my parents last month, and it was very hot down there – sweating from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed hot. No matter the situation, higher temperatures can make getting ready a bit more of a challenge, especially when you don’t have AC.
When you spend 90% of your time in the water on while on vacay, you need quick, easy styling!
When the temperatures start to rise, it’s so much easier to cut down on your beauty routine so you spend less time getting ready and more time enjoying the weather. Not only that, but the less effort you have to put in the better – you’ve got to keep cool! I brought some Kérastase PARIS products down to CR with me to help out with this; with a combo of the right products and expert steps, I was able to pull off nearly effortless beachy waves without the heat styling that has become such a big part of my routine throughout the rest of the year.
Colin D Ford, Kérastase PARIS Artistic & Education Director, shared some great steps with me to help me achieve the perfect beachy wave, and lucky for you, I’m going to share them with you today (note that the italics are extra notes from my experience).
So, how can you easily achieve beach waves without all the extra work? Here are Colin’s tips:
- Prep hair with Kérastase OLEO CURL, which is a leave-in conditioner with an anti-frizz action and a relaxed curl. Apply about the size of a quarter into your palms, spread through your hands and then work through the mid lengths and ends of the hair.
- Alternatively, if your hair has a light texture then spray WONDER WORKER from Shu Uemura into the mid-lengths and ends. This is ideal for air drying the hair. It will aid in detangling, conditioning and smoothing the hair while taming any frizz. (I actually like to use both of these in my hair to prep for styling – using the two doesn’t weigh the hair down and helps to keep the hair feeling as great as it looks)
- Comb your hair through with a large wide toothed comb to ensure even distribution of the product.
- Next, apply CURL FEVER from Kérastase, a light-weight gel specifically designed for giving some control and definition to curly or wavy hair. Once distributed through the hair, shake and leave to dry naturally. This will allow the hair to dry without becoming fluffy. (If you want a more relaxed wave, Kérastase BOUCLES D’ART Aqua-Mousse is another great option. It adds a little more body and softens the look of the waves)
- Once your hair is dry, use TEXTURE WAVE from Shu Uemura. This is a dry finishing spray and will give you an undone yet moveable and beachy waves. Spray 8 to 10 inches away from the hair and simply work it in with your fingers to achieve your desired finished look. (I like to spritz this in from the mid-shaft down and scrunch/fluff my hair to give it a little more “attitude”)
How do you style your hair during the summer?
SHOP THE POST:
I love Natalie Dormer’s style – she’s got this perfect bit of edge that she brings to every look, which is something I can so appreciate. Her most recent appearance at the Hunger Games, Mockingjay Part 2 premiere last night was no different. Wearing a gorgeous, embroidered Vivienne Westwood gown, Dormer still brought a hint of sophisticated edginess with what International Creative Director for Macadamia Professional Diannandrea called her “Rock & Roll Princess Back Bun.” It’s slightly messy while still being structured, featuring a pompadour-ish front and a gorgeous bun in the back.
Get the Look:
- Apply Macadamia Professional Foaming Volumizer ($25) from roots to ends of wet hair.
- Blow dry large sections with a large round brush to create ample volume all over.
- Rub a quarter sized amount of Macadamia Professional Whipped Detailing Cream ($26) in palms and apply throughout hair to create texture and separation.
- Tease the roots at the crown to build volume.
- Twist the hair back in small to medium sections and secure with straight pins, leaving wispy pieces loose.
- Emulsify more Macadamia Professional Whipped Detailing Cream ($26) in palms and use fingers to gently scrunch the hair for piecy texture.
- Twist remaining hair into a back bun in the center of the head and secure with pins for an effortless finish. Leave small pieces out on the side for a windswept look.
- Spray Macadamia Professional Flex Hold Shaping Spray ($25) to secure the hair.
Will you give this a try?
I think one of my favourite hairstyles at WMCFW last week had to be the sleek, twisty side ponies Redken’s Jorge Joao created for the Vawk show on Thursday night. I was lucky enough to be backstage while the models were getting prepped for this show and was able to get a firsthand look as the models were being styled!
How to get the look:
1. Apply Redken Pure Force 16 and Shine Flash 02 for a wet look.
2. Create an aggressive side part and sweep hair along the back of the head, twisting as you go, to create a pony tail that lies over the shoulder.
3. Wrap the ponytail knot with hair and bobby pin in place.
4. Flat iron the pony tail using Redken Iron Shape 11 and spray with Control Addict 28 to fan out the ponytail.
5. Finish with more Shine Flash 02.
Would you try this style?
My friends at John Frieda have some great (and cute!) idea for getting your hair off your face during the summer. Which would you try?