The best part of summer? Definitely getting to enjoy a little time relaxing on the beach. We’ve pulled together our top beauty & fashion picks to make your days by the lake even better.
Let your mane go wild and give it some beachy texture with Sun Bum Beach Formula Sea Spray. A few spritzes on damp hair will help enhance waves and volume while adding protection from UV rays and the elements, and adding a little bit of a leave-in treatment, like Herbal Essences Bio:Renew Argan Oil Infused Crème will keep it feeling soft.
Look stylish while staying cool and protected with a cute hat. Go wide brimmed for a luxe look or stay chic with a banded raffia cap, like the Tilley Women’s Raffia Hat while you relax on a lounger.
If you’re planning on spending the day in the sun, you’ve got to make sure your skin is protected. For your face, a lightweight sunscreen with a tint (Garnier Ombrelle Ultra Light Advanced Tinted Lotion SPF 60) or a mineral compact with protection (Bioderma Photoderm Compact SPF 50+) will give your skin light coverage while keeping it safe. If you’re planning on spending time in the water, make sure you protect your body as well by using a waterproof sunscreen (Vichy Ideal Soleil Sport SPF 60, $30) and reapplying throughout the day.
Make sure you bring everything along in a cute bag, like the TOMS Blue Spatter Denim All Day Tote ($95, which helps to provide a safe birth for a mother and baby in need). Pack a few Instagrammable must haves, like a round towel and fun inflatable flamingo, for the perfect beach shot.
While protecting your skin from the sun is a must, you can still rock a golden glow easily (minus the skin damage) thanks to the magic that is self tanner. Vita Liberata Ten Minute Tan ($49) gives you a natural looking tan in, you guessed it, ten minutes, while its advanced technology supports natural collagen protection.
What do you like to bring along for a day at the beach?
Shop the post:
Planning a winter vacation? I’m currently living it up in Costa Rica as I visit my parents for Christmas and wanted to share my must-have beach beauty products. Whether I’m spending the day on the beach or hanging poolside, I make sure I bring all of these along before I head out for the day!
Before heading out, I apply generous doses of Garnier Ombrelle Sport Endurance SPF30 Water/Sweat Resistant Lotion and MyChelle Dermaceuticals Sun Shield Unscented SPF28 (available at Murale) to make sure my skin is completely protected, and reapply throughout the day as needed. I also use the new Blistex Blissful Butters lip protectant to keep my lips safe from sun damage thanks to SPF 15. After sun exposure, I like to use L’Oreal Paris Sublime Sun After Sun Rich Repairing Lotions to hydrate to soothe my skin after being in the sun all day.
What do you pack in your beach bag?
Feel like adding a little beauty to your text messages? These 5 beauty messaging apps are exactly what you need to spice up your group chats with your fave gal pals.
- Sephojis by Sephora (Apple/Android) – Sephora’s beauty based emojis just launched, and they are seriously cute. The only customizable set of emojis on this list, you can choose the hair and skintone for the seriously adorable chicky in this set (you can even do this using your Color IQ Pantone Skintone Number). This set also features some cute quotes and beauty products.
2. Beautemojis by Garnier (Apple) – These Garnier-inspired emojis are perfect for expressing how you’re feeling that day, beauty-wise. Different hairstyles and skincare (from the good to the bad) are represented, along with a few Garnier faves.
3. Lush Cosmetics Stickers by Lush (Apple) – These cute gifs are a must-have for any Lush addict. Show off to your friends when you’re taking a little relaxation time with gifs of their best-selling bath bombs and other little beauty treats.
4. Beaumoji by L’Oreal (Apple/Android) – This app is anything but basic, and easily the sassiest on this list. The Beaumoji app features a ton of fun emojis, with people, makeup and fun sayings included… And, of course, some fab products from the L’Oreal family. This one is a must download.
5. L’Oreal Makeup Stickers by L’Oreal Paris (Apple) – Let your girls know they’re “worth it” with these fun, yet sassy, gif stickers. Throw one out in conversation to let them know how you’re feeling!
Do you use any other beauty emojis or stickers? Which of these beauty messaging apps are you going to download?
Shiny skin? I’m definitely not a fan, and the humidity we’ve had as of late has definitely not been working out in my favour. Follow these steps to help you skip the shine!
Switch up your routine
Skin needs change in the summer as we move away from dry weather and spend more time dealing with humidity and heat. Try switching to an oil-free, lightweight cleanser like Garnier’s SkinActive Clean+ Shine Control Cleansing Gel ($11, available at drugstores), that helps to control shine, and opt for a gel moisturizer that will keep your skin hydrated without weighing it down, like Philosophy’s Take a Deep Breath Oil-Free Oxygenating Cream ($49).
Add some balance
Try using a natural toner to help balance your skin and prevent overproduction of oil. Mix one part apple cider vinegar with one part water and apply to your skin with a cotton pad after cleansing for a quick DIY treatment.
Prep for the day
Give your skin the perfect base at the beginning of the day by starting off with a mattifying primer or gel to stop shine where it starts and keep it at bay. We love Benefit’s The POREfessional Matte Rescue Invisible Finish Mattifying Gel ($36). When it comes to coverage, stick to oil-free foundation or BB cream, like CoverGirl’s Clean Matte BB Cream ($8, available at drugstores) to even out your skin tone and prevent the shine from peeking through.
Keep your skin feeling hydrated and refresh with a setting mist, like Shiseido’s Ibuki Quick Fix Mist ($32). When you feel shine start to creep up or your skin is feeling a little worn, give your face a quick spritz to rehydrate, cancel out shine and re-set your makeup.
Nix the grease
Feeling a little shiny throughout the day? Keep an emergency product or two in your purse for quick touch ups whenever you need them. Sephora’s Cooling Mint Blotting Papers ($10) are perfect for soaking up any grease that happens to pop up, and fit nicely into a bag or clutch. Lightly blot a sheet on your face where you need a little help.
How do you keep shine at bay?
Shop the post:
Originally published on 29 Secrets – follow them for more stories!
How often do you update your skincare routine? I like to switch up my routine with the seasons as my skin’s needs differ as the weather changes. As we move into summer and warmer weather, my skin tends to become a little shinier and I spend more time outside which means skin protection is a must!
A few weeks ago, I spent some time with Garnier at the beautiful Langdon Hall in Cambridge to take part in their SkinActive Retreat, where I was able to learn more about Garnier’s skincare products & new Ombrelle offerings which are perfect for summer. It was great to get really hands on with the line, receive a little pampering and wake up to sunrise yoga!
While there, I sat down with Dr. Noah Wieder and Garnier’s Integrated Communications Leader, Jessica Zagari, to have my skincare questions answered and receive my Garnier “prescription.” With so many products out there, it’s not always easy to know what will work best for your skin – they helped me put together the perfect skincare routine to address all of my concerns and give my skin just what it needs to look and feel its healthiest. Afterwards, I also got treated to an in-room facial using the products from my routine – my skin was glowing!
So, what does my routine look like?
- I start off by cleansing with the Garnier SkinActive Clean+ Shine Control Gel. I tend to get a little shiny in my T-zone throughout the day, especially with the hotter weather we’ve experienced in Toronto lately. This light, charcoal & menthol based cleanser easily removes makeup, oil & dirt, leaving my skin feeling fresh and clean.
- Twice a week, I also add in a detoxifying treatment with the Garnier SkinActive Clean+ Pore Purifying Clay Cleanser + Mask. The charcoal in this mask helps to draw out impurities, removing the gunk for a serious deep clean. Although it wasn’t part of my routine, I also like the use the Garnier SkinActive Clean+ Impurities Eliminating Scrub afterwards to exfoliate and unclog my pores.
- To keep my skin hydrated, I apply the Garnier SkinActive Moisture Rescue SPF 15. This lotion helps to lock in moisture and protect my skin daily – it’s such a quick and easy step in my routine, and it means that I never forget to apply sunscreen before heading out for the day. Dr. Wieder made sure to mention that it’s important to reapply this throughout the day to ensure that protection from the sun is always in place, and to use a product with a higher level SPF (like the Garnier Ombrelle Ultra Light Advanced SPF 60) if you’re planning on spending time in direct sunlight.
- At night, I throw on a nice layer of Garnier SkinActive Ultra-Lift Miracle Sleeping Cream, which has quickly become a favourite of mine. This rich cream helps to restore my skin overnight, and I wake up looking fresh-faced and well-rested (even when I’m not).
- To help even out my complexion, the Garnier SkinActive BB Cream + Blur has become a welcome addition. It’s perfect for days when I want to give my skin just a bit of a boost without overdoing it. This lightweight BB Cream helps to moisturize my skin while blurring out imperfections – one easy step to improve the look and feel of my skin.
In addition to these products, the Garnier SkinActive Micellar Water and Garnier SkinActive Clean+ Purifying Remover Cleansing Towelettes have also found their way into my routine – they work really well and remove my makeup easily without ever drying my skin out. I’ve been using my new routine for a little over 2 weeks now, and my skin has been looking and feeling great. Aside from a (very) minor hormonal breakout, my skin has been extremely clear and bright – which makes me a very happy girl.
What does your skincare routine look like?
Shop the Post:
Disclaimer: This post contains PR samples sent for editorial consideration, but as always opinions are 100% my own! xo