Lately, I’ve been on a bit of a health kick. Between getting ready to head to Costa Rica for a few weeks (helloooo, I’m going to basically be living on the beach), coming out of winter and just generally trying to focus on myself a bit more, I’ve been trying to make some changes for a healthier and more positive lifestyle. Of course, part of this means eating properly and adding foods into my daily life that nourish and give benefits. If you’re in the same boat, you’ll love this post, because I’m talking about how to make the perfect smoothie bowl (with a recipe!).
I love smoothies, and turning them into a bowl full of goodness is super easy – and fun! I really like having them this way, as it turns them into a fun snack. You can add different ingredients to get exactly what you want out of it and to make it taste the way that you want, and if you feel like getting creative, you can turn it into a bit of an art project.
I recently had a chance to get some insight into what makes the perfect smoothie bowl from Joy McCarthy, Holistic Nutritionist and the brains behind Joyous Health. In order to maximize the potential of your smoothie bowl, it’s important to ensure you have a combination of protein (which helps with things like metabolism, muscle recovery & healthy hair/skin/nails), good fat (to build healthy cells & regulate sex hormones), fiber (because your body needs to detox) and phytonutrients (for improved short and long-term health).
And now, because I’m sure you’re all itching to have your own benefit-packed smoothie bowl, check out this recipe from Joy + a few of my favourite add-ons to make it even better!
Funky Monkey Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1 medjool date
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 scoop Genuine Health Fermented Vegan Proteins+ in chocolate flavour (because this powder is fermented it is more easily absorbed for better nourishment – and it doesn’t cause bloating!
Blend all of the ingredients until smooth and pour into a bowl, then top with your favourite ingredients!
What do I like to add on?
- Strawberries – full of polyphenols and Vitamin C to give my immune system a boost
- Pumpkin seeds – packed with zinc and magnesium
- Pomegranate seeds – antioxidant-rich
- Hemp hearts – protein for improved metabolism
- Raspberries – full of vitamins, antioxidants and fiber
- Coconut – protein and fiber
- Kiwi – high source of Vitamin C and helps improve skin and digestion
- Dragonfruit – rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients
- Genuine Health greens+ Extra Energy – jam-packed with phytonutrients with a clean, natural source of energy – you’ll honestly notice a change with regular use!
What would you add in for your perfect smoothie bowl?
Disclaimer: This post contains PR samples sent for editorial consideration, but as always opinions are 100% my own! xo