Ahhhh summer. We’ve finally hit that beautiful time of year in Toronto where the heat starts ratcheting up. We’ve already had some days with higher than normal temperatures (which I will not complain about) and I’m sure it’s only going to continue to go up from here. You may have also seen that I spent a few weeks in Costa Rica visiting my parents last month, and it was very hot down there – sweating from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed hot. No matter the situation, higher temperatures can make getting ready a bit more of a challenge, especially when you don’t have AC.
When the temperatures start to rise, it’s so much easier to cut down on your beauty routine so you spend less time getting ready and more time enjoying the weather. Not only that, but the less effort you have to put in the better – you’ve got to keep cool! I brought some Kérastase PARIS products down to CR with me to help out with this; with a combo of the right products and expert steps, I was able to pull off nearly effortless beachy waves without the heat styling that has become such a big part of my routine throughout the rest of the year.
Colin D Ford, Kérastase PARIS Artistic & Education Director, shared some great steps with me to help me achieve the perfect beachy wave, and lucky for you, I’m going to share them with you today (note that the italics are extra notes from my experience).
So, how can you easily achieve beach waves without all the extra work? Here are Colin’s tips:
- Prep hair with Kérastase OLEO CURL, which is a leave-in conditioner with an anti-frizz action and a relaxed curl. Apply about the size of a quarter into your palms, spread through your hands and then work through the mid lengths and ends of the hair.
- Alternatively, if your hair has a light texture then spray WONDER WORKER from Shu Uemura into the mid-lengths and ends. This is ideal for air drying the hair. It will aid in detangling, conditioning and smoothing the hair while taming any frizz. (I actually like to use both of these in my hair to prep for styling – using the two doesn’t weigh the hair down and helps to keep the hair feeling as great as it looks)
- Comb your hair through with a large wide toothed comb to ensure even distribution of the product.
- Next, apply CURL FEVER from Kérastase, a light-weight gel specifically designed for giving some control and definition to curly or wavy hair. Once distributed through the hair, shake and leave to dry naturally. This will allow the hair to dry without becoming fluffy. (If you want a more relaxed wave, Kérastase BOUCLES D’ART Aqua-Mousse is another great option. It adds a little more body and softens the look of the waves)
- Once your hair is dry, use TEXTURE WAVE from Shu Uemura. This is a dry finishing spray and will give you an undone yet moveable and beachy waves. Spray 8 to 10 inches away from the hair and simply work it in with your fingers to achieve your desired finished look. (I like to spritz this in from the mid-shaft down and scrunch/fluff my hair to give it a little more “attitude”)
How do you style your hair during the summer?
SHOP THE POST: