Blog

Bring Life Back to Your Colour with John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss

By  |

UPDATE: Enter now to win a 6-month supply of John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss so you can put it to the test yourself!

A little while back I was invited to high tea at the Ritz Carlton to learn about a new innovation from John Frieda that, as a chick with coloured hair, I was extremely, extremely excited to learn about.  We all love the feeling of a freshly-dyed head of hair – your colour looks fantastic and your mane feels healthy and shiny.  And then the unavoidable happens – washing, heat styling and damage take over and you notice your beautiful colour start to slowly fade away.  As a faux-redhead, I have a huge problem with colour fading – it’s basically impossible to avoid but I try my best to prevent it from happening.  Cue the new John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss ($12.99 CAD) – a serial dyer’s best friend.

John Frieda colour refreshing gloss, colour refresh gloss, color refresh gloss, colour boost, hair dye, keep hair colour bright longer, john frieda colour refreshing gloss review

John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss – clockwise from top centre: Warm blondes, cool blondes, warm reds, cool reds, warm brunettes, cool brunettes

So, what is it exactly?  The John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss is meant to be a supplement to be your regular hair colouring routine.  Designed to be used as a weekly “at-home-salon” treatment, it promises to refresh your look in between dyes for a boost in colour and shine.  Don’t get this confused with a dye though – it’s not going to change your hair colour (oh, and it’s ammonia and peroxide free!).  It moreso helps to restore the look of your hair post-dye by helping to re-add the pigments that are typically washed out after colouring.  The John Frieda team put a lot of research into this to ensure there were different option available to suit the needs of different hair colours: Warm Blondes (adds golden tones), Cool Blondes (Neutralizes brassiness), Warm Reds (Adds fiery copper tones), Cool Reds (Adds vivid red tones), Warm Brunettes (Adds rich chocolate tones), and Cool Brunettes (Eliminates red-orange tones).

The directions are simple: “After shampooing and conditioning hair, squeeze out excess water from hair.  Dispense a quarter-sized amount of product into hand and spread from root through entire length of hair.  Repeat process 3-5 times to ensure middle to ends of hair are evenly saturated with gloss.  Wash hands with soap.  Leave gloss on for at least 3 minutes, then rinse.  Use gloss weekly to keep colour fresh.”  You may notice I emphasized “wash hands with soap.”  This stuff does have some pigmentation to it, and as with hair dye (at least from my experience with red), it can stain.  Granted, the staining that comes from this is much more mild but yes, wash your hands after using it!  And be careful not to get it on your shower curtain as it will do the same.

And now, on to the million dollar queston.  Does it work?  I am happy to report that from my experience so far (with the Cool Red shade) I have seen results.  Although they aren’t drastic (once again – this isn’t a dye), I noticed more brightness in my colour and my hair really is shinier after using it.  I also noticed my hair seems to “plump” up a bit after a treatment, much like it does after I dye, which I love.  And just to prove that I wasn’t the only one who noticed a difference, after using it for the first time my boyfriend asked if I had just dyed my hair (it was done 2.5 weeks prior) – chalk one up for team John Frieda.  I’m definitely going to continue using this on a weekly basis to help prolong the life of my colour.  I can’t attest to the other shades, but as a “redhead” this stuff has found a permanent home in my shower.

Have you tried John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss? What do you think?

SHOP THE POST:
[show_shopthepost_widget id=”1679439″]

Dee Thomson is a Canadian beauty blogger with a passion for sparkly things and making the world a little prettier with her corner of the internet.

53 Comments

1. MrDisco3

January 17, 2014 at 10:57 pm

thanks for the review. i’ll be on the look out for the black shade

2. Jenn erin

January 18, 2014 at 3:50 am

John Frieda is one of the brands I keep going back to when I’ve coloured my hair! Good to know this product works as well!

3. Melinda Jana

January 18, 2014 at 6:44 pm

No I haven’t had the opportunity to try it yet. I am a fan of John Frieda so I would definitely consider using this next time, I’m thinking the red shade. Thanks for the review.

4. Victoria Ess

January 18, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I love this idea! I can’t wait to try it!!

5. Betty Spry

January 23, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Thank your for the information. I keep hearing about John Frieda

6. BI

February 2, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Yeah, so I can only use black. I guess I’ll have to wait in line for that one.

7. kathy downey

February 6, 2014 at 12:35 am

i love this idea,i love john frieda

8. Heather Holmberg

February 7, 2014 at 6:34 am

have not seen this yet .. I cannot wait to try this !

9. Judy Cowan

February 10, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Sounds like a great product, I will have to keep an eye out for it. I could definitely use it!

10. Roselyn Yu

February 11, 2014 at 6:43 am

I luv to try this gloss 4 n bet. coloring my hair!! I’ll definitely check it out!! Thanks!!

11. lifeskit

February 11, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Think I am ready for a change

12. Evelyn Chuter

February 12, 2014 at 5:20 am

I quit dyeing my hair because I got tired of trying to keep up with the color. It was getting so damaged that I gave it a break. But now that John Frieda has this product out, I can’t to get some and dye my hair again. Sounds wonderful!

13. grammy65

February 13, 2014 at 1:17 am

what a great idea from john frieda.this is a must try for me.

14. Ekaterina

February 15, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I just bought this yesterday for blonde cool tone. Can’t wait to try it. I’m a fan of John Frieda products, I haven’t been disappointed in the line yet.

15. Ria Alemina

February 15, 2014 at 5:28 pm

I think i need to try john frieda too. Thx for sharing this!

16. Tammy Woodall

February 16, 2014 at 8:27 am

I’ve never tried John Fried before. I am definitely going to have to try this Color Refreshing Gloss.

17. Amy Livesay Hart

February 16, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Never heard of this til now, but could definitely use it!

18. Alina Ionescu

February 16, 2014 at 4:33 pm

i haven’t heard about it, but i would love to try it 🙂

19. Rabia Akhter

February 17, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I’ve never tried but i can tell my mom you try this colour i really likr it:)

20. Monica Kirkham

February 19, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I quit coloring my hair a while back because, quite frankly, I got sick and tired of the disappointment as a result of fading. However, its great to see a product like this that can restore/refresh color and keep it brilliant. I just might give this a try!!

21. zeta_mcmillan

February 24, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I love when i first colour my hair as the colour is brilliant but fades fast so I definatly want to try this John Frieda colour boost.. Thanks for the post!

22. Tammy D

February 24, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I love this stuff, I use it all the time!

23. Iulia Zwicker

February 25, 2014 at 2:48 am

I should try that! When my hair was red (i miss it!!), I could’ve definitely used it!

24. Sidney

February 26, 2014 at 11:24 pm

I just bought it but have not tried it yet…hoping it will help keep my red hair redder longer!

25. Susan T.

March 16, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I wonder if this works on natural hair to perk up the colour a bit? I don’t colour my hair but would use a non-permanent gloss.

• Dee Thomson

April 23, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I believe this question was asked when I attended the press launch for the gloss. The gloss works by counteracting the fading process and replenishing the pigments that typically wash out. It wasn’t made for natural hair, but I can imagine it would help to give a little bit of boost and if anything it will definitely up the shine factor of your hair!

26. Natalie Carlson Brown

March 17, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Hi! I have so been wanting to try this product!! I’ve seen a couple other positive reviews & now yours is positive too. Looks like I’ll be purchasing it very soon. lol Thanks!

27. Scarlet Jet Bennett

March 19, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I just used the Cool Red shade on my burgundy stripes, which had been fading quickly after only four weeks. I think the colour gloss worked brilliantly! The application was a little difficult because I have only thin stripes of burgundy color throughout my blonde hair. I applied the gloss using my fingers and left it on for about five minutes. I’m very pleased with the results.

• Dee Thomson

April 23, 2014 at 7:22 pm

So happy to hear you had a good experience with this! I love it to give my hair just a little bit of oomph when the colour starts to fade.

• Scarlet Jet Bennett

April 23, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I want to say that I don’t think that the colour gloss adds much to non-coloured hair. I applied the gloss to my burgundy stripes and liked the effect so much that I tired a more liberal application – to hair that had not been coloured. I could see only a faint tint of red, and that tint lasted only a day.
        I wonder about the effects of applying the gloss to dry hair. Has anyone tried that?

28. Lynn Mathieu

March 26, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I did not see this hair color system yet but I will go look for it the next time I shop.

29. Brenda Shoup Heitz

April 6, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I had my hair dyed light brown about 4 weeks ago after years of being a blonde (my naturally blonde hair has become dirty blonde). I got sick of dark roots so I changed it up a bit. The brown looks great but as it fades I dread having to go to the salon for a touch up……..way too expensive. I tried the John Frieda color refreshing gloss today for warm brown hair and it really brightened the color. My hair feels thick and looks healthy. I will use it at least every other week and maybe only monthly through the summer. Would recommend.

30. Lynn Mathieu

April 6, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I did not even know that they sell these,I am going to have to try it out myself too

31. AJ Corrigan

April 11, 2014 at 12:31 am

Great idea, everyone in my household loves this product.

32. julie connors

April 17, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Does it cover gray hairs?

• Andrea Murray

April 23, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Was this question answered I’d like to know

• Dee Thomson

April 23, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Hi Andrea! I just provided an answer to Julie’s question – see above!

• julie connors

April 24, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Thank you 🙂 I used it and it did cover them enough to get me to my next color appt.

• Dee Thomson

April 23, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Hi Julie! As far as I can tell this product does not cover grey hairs – it replaces pigments that frequently wash out after dying and provides a bit of a colour boost. IT may help them to blend in more with your dye colour but I don’t believe it will cover completely as it not an actual dye, just a colour and radiance booster. I’ll check back in with John Frieda as I haven’t had any personal experience with this and will let you know if they have a different answer!

• Lindsay

May 5, 2014 at 11:40 am

I am wondering about being able to use this on DRY hair as well..I use this already on wet hair in the shower. I know the old version you could put it on dry for a better result it said..Please has anyone tried?

33. Lindsay

May 5, 2014 at 11:42 am

Has anyone tried on Dry hair? The old version said that you could use on dry hair for better results..I already use this on wet hair, jw if anyone has tried it..I use Warm Brunette

34. Eldon Lai

May 26, 2014 at 10:41 pm

This is such a cool product!

35. Que Banh

June 6, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I’m going to buy & try this because my colour is fading out and my stylist can’t fit me in until end of next month. I won’t go to anyone else due to how picky I am with colour work.

36. Michelle Castagne

June 17, 2014 at 1:02 am

I didn’t know there was a product like this. I’ll have to try it.

37. Kathryn Zaganiaczyk

June 19, 2014 at 9:58 am

I’m a natural red head but the older I get the more my natural color fades. Would this product give my natural red hair the little boost that it needs?

• Red Khaleesi

July 20, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I am in the same boat as you and just tried this product in the warm red. Yes, it does give it a little boost without being dramatic, and left my hair feeling thicker. I don’t notice a difference in shine, but yes, it did give my natural red a little oomph that I am enjoying.

38. Eldon L

July 22, 2014 at 11:55 pm

This looks like an interesting product to try!

39. Nancy

September 12, 2014 at 11:49 am

I never try this product but I know this can help a lot ! Sometimes because of the kind of water, the kind of product we use in our hair, the color change fast… I like the fact that this kind of product improve the hair.

40. Jens Ken Lundstrom

October 9, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Nice review!
    Looks like a great brand!

41. Sherry Proch

December 3, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I have tried this and for my fine blonde hair it works dang well!!!!!

42. SandyT

December 10, 2014 at 9:22 am

I need to try this!!!

43. Darrah Bailey

December 10, 2014 at 10:16 pm

LOVE John Freida Anything, I will have to try

44. TracyDixon

December 19, 2014 at 10:42 am

I’m going to have to go look for this, great way to keep my Colour fresh between colourings.